18826Re: Pan's Labyrinth

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Sep 2, 2007
      I don't know that I've really got a good handle on this child's
      behavior; I recognize that my assessment is personal and visceral, so
      plenty of YMMV warnings.

      I think that was her explanation to Pan, her excuse - not an
      intentional lie so much as trying to explain an act of selfish
      stupidity. See, I think you are expecting more rational thought from
      children than is generally seen. Please don't misunderstand; I can
      already hear you saying how you remember your thought processes at the
      age of 8 or 10, but David, you're remarkable. You were then, you are
      now - not typical, not representative.

      I suspect she didn't have a reason other than, "oooh, grapes look
      good! there's lots of them, who's going to know if I eat one or two?"
      and then not really thinking through the whole warning - that kind of
      mental dismissal of inconvenient facts/instructions seems very typical
      of childhood to me - a place where willful disobedience is a common
      occurance, but usually not with such terrifying consequences.

      At least I wouldn't go expecting a "reason" beyond that.

      -- Lynn --

      > At 09:34 PM 8/30/2007 +0000, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
      >
      > >Yes, she's hungry - BUT she went for grapes, she didn't ravenously dig
      > >into more substantial fare. I felt it was willful, childish
      > >disobedience and *if she believed nothing bad was going to happen* she
      > >was not representative of children in that era or, I think, of fairy
      > >tales in general.
      >
      > She _said_ that she believed nothing bad was going to happen. Do
      you think
      > she was lying to Pan when she said it?
      >
      > Do you agree with the idea that she knew perfectly well that
      something bad
      > would happen, and that she did it to spice up the adventure?
      >
      > >In any case, her disobedience didn't read as "real" to me, it seemed
      > >too quick and the fairies were warning her and she waved them off - it
      > >was a character point that confused me.
      >
      > Oh yes, I forgot about the fairies trying to warn her off. It was
      indeed
      > wilful disobedience on her part; the question is why she did it. She
      > didn't disobey on the previous quest, the one with the frog, and she's
      > otherwise not depicted as a wilful child: if she disobeys it's for a
      reason
      > (even if the adults don't know what it is), not to disobey for
      disobeying's
      > sake.

    • Show all 66 messages in this topic