18449Re: Medieval studies

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Jul 10, 2007
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff

      Hicklin wrote:
      > > Fair enough, but the column's reference to
      'speaking'
      > > or 'knowing' or 'knowing of' the language
      "Elvish" is
      > > simply ignorance. One can't, even in
      theory,
      speak
      > > "Elvish" any more than one could speak
      Romance,
      or
      > > Finno-Ugric.
      >
      > Or Indo-European. Of course. But I'm willing
      cut him a break on
      > that point, since Bilbo himself often uses
      "Elvish" when he means
      > Sindarin
      > (e.g. "Translations from the Elvish" or "I
      thought you knew enough
      > Elvish at least to know dun-adan: Man of the
      West, Numenorean").

      Ok, good point. Come to think of it, I don't
      believe the names "Sindarin" or "Quenya"
      actually appear anywhere in the narrative proper
      (unsurprisingly in the former case, since at the
      time it was still "Noldorin.")
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic