18440Re: [mythsoc] Medieval studies

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Jul 6, 2007
      John Gravois, the author of the article linked to, writes:

      "Elvish, a language created by Tolkien, is one of the most widely
      spoken invented languages — along with Esperanto and Klingon."

      Let's see: Esperanto is spoken by between 100,000 and 2 million
      people (according to Wikipedia). Klingon is probably spoken (slowly,
      I'm sure; as opposed to simply being written, slowly) by no more than
      a few dozen people. And precisely no one speaks "Elvish", either
      Quenya or Sindarin (not even Tolkien could do so casually).

      "Elvish" can certainly be classified with Klingon in terms of _the
      number of people who study it_ (but can't actually speak it
      casually). But both are surely dwarfed by even the most conservative
      estimate of those who actually can and do speak Esperanto.

      Carl

      On Jul 6, 2007, at 11:18 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:

      > Here's an article from _The Chronicle of Higher Education_ on
      > Tolkien's
      > importance to modern medieval studies:
      >
      > _http://chronicle.com/free/v53/i44/44a00801.htm_
      > (http://chronicle.com/free/v53/i44/44a00801.htm)