18435Re: about dwarves and spiders in the Hobbit ...

  • Paul Meeter
    Jul 1, 2007
      This reminds me of Barfield's "Poetic Diction". Tolkien uses the words
      "web" and "lob", well aware of their meanings both then and now; and the
      differences between their meanings then and now. It's just one example of
      how Tolkien re-enriches our own meaning-fund with all that the words used to
      signify. I like the connection between 'dwarf' and 'spider' that is evident
      in Northern lore. I expect Tolkien knew of it, and perhaps meant to play
      the linguistic joke by having the one try to eat the other.

      --
      Paul Meeter