18417Re: [mythsoc] Re:Golden Compass/Northern Lights Award

  • John D Rateliff
    Jun 25, 2007
      On Jun 25, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Mike Foster wrote:
      > THE BORROWERS, which I first read as a child, would have earned my
      > sentimental vote; all of the series' volumes were well-wrought. I
      > re-read as an adult years ago and they held up quite well.

      Yes, it's a sentimental favorite of mine as well; read and re-read
      them over and over in days gone by (except for POOR STAINLESS, which
      I could have done without). Though I think ARE ALL THE GIANTS DEAD?
      is actually a better book than any of them, excepting possibly the
      original THE BORROWERS, I didn't discover that until years later.

      On Jun 25, 2007, at 9:43 AM, David Bratman wrote:
      > _The Tombs of Atuan_ is every bit as good as _Wizard_, maybe
      > better as it has a more unified plot: it's only flawed if you
      > expect it to
      > be told from Ged's viewpoint; whereas I found identifying him to be
      > a major
      > joy of a first spoiler-free reading.

      Afraid that can't explain my reaction, since I read TOMBS first, with
      no preconceptions whatsoever about who should be in it. It was the
      first fantasy I read after discovering Tolkien, handed to me by
      someone who said "If you liked Tolkien, you'll like this". I hated it
      so much I didn't read any more LeGuin again for five years, when I
      discovered THE LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS, discovered just how good a
      writer she was, and went back to give Earthsea another try. The first
      book is magnificent; the second does not improve for me on a second,
      third, or even fourth reading (love the setting, hate the story,
      uninterested in the characters); the third is, as LeGuin says, an
      ambitious failure but the good parts are very good, so I'm fine with
      that. I'm glad the middle book has its admirers, though, and that
      they get something out of it that I can't. My favorite Earthsea is
      actually "The Rule of Names", not just for obvious reasons but
      because it didn't feature any of the main characters: I wish she'd
      changed her cast entirely with each new book rather than revisiting
      the same characters time and time again.

      On Jun 24, 2007, at 4:31 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
      >> just as I rank Pullman's the best of the 1980s.
      > Sorry: obviously, that should have read "best of the 1990s".

      --for the 1980s I would pick THE BRIDGE OF BIRDS for that honor.

      --JDR
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic