18411Re: [mythsoc] Re:Golden Compass/Northern Lights Award

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Jun 25, 2007
      I missed this, since I tend to skip Mr. Rateliff's posts. Just want to state
      for the record that "The Tombs of Atuan" is a fantastic book, absolutely
      worthy of following "A Wizard of Earthsea" and an excellent compliment to it. Far
      from diminishing from Wizard, it adds immeasurably to the development of Ged
      and shows more of the Earthsea world and its inhabitants.

      Just had to show Atuan some love -- now back to the debate about Pullman,
      whom I care nothing for and think very little of his writing, and certainly not
      enough to argue about him when others are doing such heavy lifting for me, so
      to speak.

      Grace Walker Monk

      In a message dated 6/25/2007 10:18:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
      solicitr@... writes:

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff
      <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      >That Pullman utterly
      > failed to deliver on the promise of this first book
      doesn't, to my
      > mind, detract from his achievement, anymore than
      THE TOMBS OF ATUAN
      > diminishes A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA, or Book V of THE
      FAERIE QUEENE