      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of William Cloud Hicklin
      Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 10:17 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re:Golden Compass/Northern Lights Award

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com, John
      D Rateliff
      <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      >That Pullman utterly
      > failed to deliver on the promise of this first book
      doesn't, to my
      > mind, detract from his achievement, anymore than
      THE TOMBS OF ATUAN
      > diminishes A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA, or Book V of THE
      FAERIE QUEENE
      > diminishes Books III & IV.

      I can't concur. GC isn't a book in its own right,
      like Wizard of Earthsea, but merely Volume 1, like
      Fellowship. It can't to my mind be judged
      independent of the other volumes, and like David, I
      find the third in particular to be a trainwreck: Act
      III of Faust as imagined by William Burroughs.