18350Re: [mythsoc] Re: Mythcon publicity

    Jun 7, 2007
      It'd be a good thing if someone familiar with MySpace created a page there
      for the Society. But the information should probably mostly be adapted
      from the Society web page, and done with the cooperation of Society
      publicity officers. I hope that doesn't sound dampening: it's just that
      this would be an official Society presence and should be accurate both in
      facts and in the its expression of the type of Society we are. And this
      needs participation of people experienced in the Society for the same
      reason that Mythcons should be run by people who've been to some.

      I think Cole's introduction is ample demonstration, if the Tolkien Library
      folks weren't so already, that there are intelligent, well-read younger
      people out there, just as there were 30 and 40 years ago, and we don't have
      to reinvent the Society to some low media denominator to attract them.
      There's plenty of other places for people who want that to go to; for
      people who want The Mythopoeic Society, there's The Mythopoeic Society.

      Cole mentions cost of Mythcons as a problem. Well, it is, and one thing
      has changed: since we do have so many older people than we used to,
      physical comfort of the surroundings is at more of a premium. But that
      mostly expresses itself in more Mythcon attendees taking en-suite
      accommodations than the dorms, and dorm rooms are still on offer. We still
      hold Mythcons usually on college campuses rather than in hotels, because
      hotels just don't offer the community feeling that campuses do, and the
      campuses are less expensive. The general expensiveness of the world is, of
      course, beyond our control.

      One major Mythcon cost problem is that Mythcons travel around and can be
      far away. But that also means that they can be close on occasion. The
      Society was founded in Los Angeles, and most of the early Mythcons were
      thereabouts, latterly with excursions to Northern California. That was
      great for those who lived there, which many members did, but anyone who
      lived elsewhere - an increasing percentage as time went on - was
      continually out of luck. Now as we move about, there's more opportunity to
      find a Mythcon near you. Stick around, please!
    • Show all 46 messages in this topic