18316Re: [mythsoc] Re: Farewell, Lloyd Alexander

  • Elizabeth Hardy
    May 31, 2007
      I'm a little slow at replying myself, and I've been numbed by Alexander's death. His books came to as I had finished my first time through the Chronicles of Narnia, and they still resonate deeply with me. I longed to be one of his heroines, although, like you, I was always most connected to Fflewdur (my maiden name, Baird, is a variation of bard). In high school, I did a report on Westmark, complete with a 3-D map made from modeling clay! I wonder if poor Mrs. Thomas still had it when she retired! To me, his great gift was creating haunting scenes that still come to mind: not just the war horrors of Kestrel. The scene in The High King, with the company gathered around the dying fire made from Fflewdur's harp, is one I don't think I can ever escape, and Alexander's emotional resonance firmly places him, in my mind, among the constellations of Lewis and Tolkien. I look forward to introducing Taran and his friends to my son (we're just starting Robin Hood), and to my daughter,
      in hopes she will admire Eilonwy and Mickle as much as I did.

      "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@...> wrote:
      Sorry to be replying to old messages...I've been awfully out of touch,
      and just found out about the death Lloyd Alexander, who was my absolute
      favorite author for a few formative years of childhood. Like Jason, I
      too found that he answered every letter I ever sent him, charmingly and
      personally. No wonder I feel like I knew him. Well, that and having
      spent two or three years of childhood reading and re-reading the
      Prydain chronicles and generally trying my best to find the door into
      Prydain. I'd still go there in a minute, if I could find it. Before I'd
      every heard of Tolkien, he got me hooked on fantasy. I sent him a copy
      of THE EYE OF NIGHT when it came out with a note of thanks for opening
      the doors of imagination. He sent back a gracious letter with some kind
      words about it that I suspect of "coloring the facts," as Fflewdur
      Fflamm (my favorite of his characters) might say. He seemed to be as
      lovely a person as he was an author, and his gentle world view is much
      needed in the times we're living through. I hope his books will
      continue to reach young readers for many years to come.
      Pauline J. Alama

      > > While working on the Mythlore index project, I ran across a
      > > letter from Alexander in one of the earliest issues, so we go
      > > way back with him.
      > I wrote to him twice back the early 1980s – even venturing to send
      him copies of some poems I had written. He replied to both letters
      (typed and signed by hand), offering comments on my poems, and telling
      me about the new book he was working on (it was probably The Beggar
      Queen or The Illyrian Adventure; I don't recall at the moment), and he
      sent me an autographed commemorative pamphlet about the Prydain Cycle.
      He was the best.