18292Re: [mythsoc] Farewell, Lloyd Alexander

  • John D Rateliff
    May 30, 2007
      On May 30, 2007, at 7:55 AM, David Bratman wrote:
      > Yes, those are good authors too, but in naming Kendall, Garner, and
      > Alexander I was limiting myself to authors whose books PREDATE all
      > three of
      > _Watership Down_, _The Last Unicorn_, and _A Wizard of Earthsea_,
      > and none
      > of those three do (except Bellairs's _St. Fidgeta_, which isn't
      > Tolkien-evoking). Before 1968, if you wanted post-Tolkien
      > literature that
      > evoked his work in the way I described, you had Kendall, Garner, and
      > Alexander, and that was about it.

      Good point, David. Yes, I was blurring the early/mid 70s with the
      writers from the 60s you had listed. Interesting that poor old Lin
      Carter devoted the Postscript of his A LOOK BEHIND 'THE LORD OF THE
      RINGS' (1969) to those same three, in that same sequence, as the
      first to show influence from JRRT, so I guess it's a judgment that's
      stood the test of time.

      > So before 1968, it was pretty quiet out there, and Alexander was
      > one of the
      > pioneer explorers. The approximate decade 1968-1976 was something
      > of the
      > golden age for post-Tolkien fantasy, with Adams, Beagle, Le Guin,
      > Bellairs,
      > Nichols, and Chant - to which one should certainly add Patricia
      > McKillip,
      > who appeared then (I first heard of her when _The Forgotten Beasts
      > of Eld_
      > was an MFA nominee in 1975), and maybe Sanders Ann Laubenthal's
      > _Excalibur_, a 1973 book that wasn't really very good but which
      > managed to
      > evoke all three major Inklings at once, then a unique achievement.

      I rather like the idea of that having been a golden age of post-
      Tolkienian fantasy, before the Tolk-clones hit big in the mid-70s
      (early Donaldson, Brooks, and, rather later but worst of all,
      Keirnan). Most of what I've re-read of this material in recent years
      holds up extremely well; I'll have to make a point of working my way
      back round to some of the others.

      --JDR
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic