18280Re: Farewell, Lloyd Alexander

  • Pauline J. Alama
    May 30, 2007
      Sorry to be replying to old messages...I've been awfully out of touch,
      and just found out about the death Lloyd Alexander, who was my absolute
      favorite author for a few formative years of childhood. Like Jason, I
      too found that he answered every letter I ever sent him, charmingly and
      personally. No wonder I feel like I knew him. Well, that and having
      spent two or three years of childhood reading and re-reading the
      Prydain chronicles and generally trying my best to find the door into
      Prydain. I'd still go there in a minute, if I could find it. Before I'd
      every heard of Tolkien, he got me hooked on fantasy. I sent him a copy
      of THE EYE OF NIGHT when it came out with a note of thanks for opening
      the doors of imagination. He sent back a gracious letter with some kind
      words about it that I suspect of "coloring the facts," as Fflewdur
      Fflamm (my favorite of his characters) might say. He seemed to be as
      lovely a person as he was an author, and his gentle world view is much
      needed in the times we're living through. I hope his books will
      continue to reach young readers for many years to come.
      Pauline J. Alama

      > > While working on the Mythlore index project, I ran across a
      > > letter from Alexander in one of the earliest issues, so we go
      > > way back with him.
      >
      > I wrote to him twice back the early 1980s – even venturing to send
      him copies of some poems I had written. He replied to both letters
      (typed and signed by hand), offering comments on my poems, and telling
      me about the new book he was working on (it was probably The Beggar
      Queen or The Illyrian Adventure; I don't recall at the moment), and he
      sent me an autographed commemorative pamphlet about the Prydain Cycle.
      He was the best.