18208Re: Farewell, Lloyd Alexander

  • lizedw301
    May 21, 2007
      Thank you very much for posting this. I hadn't heard. A truly great
      loss.

      Liz

      > Not quite mythopoeic, but close enough. I'm sure at least some of
      you will remember Lloyd Alexander's works -- especially his Prydain
      Cycle, set in a kind of idealized Wales with a backdrop drawn from
      the Mabinogion -- with as much fondness as I do ...

      > A great loss.

      Thursday.
      > He was 83.
      >
      > Alexander died at his home in the Philadelphia suburb of Drexel
      Hill, said
      > Jennifer Abbots, spokeswoman for his publishing company, Henry Holt
      Books
      > For Young Readers. He had cancer, she said.
      >
      > The final book in his Prydain series, "The High King," won the
      Newbery Medal
      > from the American Library Association in 1969, being recognized as
      the best
      > children's book of the year. Another book in the series, "The Black
      > Cauldron," was named a runner-up for the medal in 1966, a status
      now known
      > as a Newbery Honor Book.
      >
      > His final novel, "The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio," is scheduled
      to be
      > published by Holt in August. The publisher described it as an
      adventure in
      > the tradition of Middle Eastern folk tales.
      >
      > Alexander joined the Army at the start of World War II and got much
      of his
      > training in Wales. His experiences in the area inspired many of his
      books.

      > He met Janine Denni, whom he married in 1946, while attending the
      University