17972Re: _Children of Hurin_ editions compared

  • Jason Fisher
    Apr 18, 2007
      Wow. Color me surprised. Thanks for letting us know, Carl.

      I figured the exact opposite would be true. I'm looking at my copy of the extended edition of Smith of Wootton Major as I write this � printed as it is on what appears to be heavy, recycled newspaper; in fact, I think it might have been used by a homeless person to keep the rain off before the text was printed on it. And the binding is clogged together with the kind of glue that ... well ... let's just say, the Rohirrim wouldn't be too happy about it.

      Jason

      ----- Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@...> ----

      I received my copies of both the US (Houghton Mifflin) and UK
      (HarperCollins) trade editions of _Children of H�rin_ today, and
      wanted to let interested readers know that while identical in
      contents, the UK edition is larger in page size (also in plate size,
      for the illustrations) , in better boards, on better paper, and with
      better (sewn) binding. For my money, in terms of attractiveness and
      durability, it's well worth the additional cost to get the UK edition
      instead of the US one.

      FWIW.

      Carl