17829Re: [mythsoc] Re: new member introducing herself

    Mar 14, 2007
      In a message dated 3/14/2007 9:48:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      solicitr@... writes:

      You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
      Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
      read in Grotta's collection of errors and
      fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
      collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
      are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
      there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
      Companion and Guide.

      You know, I never understood the hostility that Grotta's biography gets.
      It's been a long time since I read it though. Can someone tell me what the
      mistakes in it are?

      http://www.aol.com