17791Re: CSL cited in Congress

  • kim4fsu
    Feb 17, 2007

      > I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis,"
      and "resolution," and I
      > found the following news story:
      >

      > _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
      DocumentID=58224_
      > (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
      DocumentID=58224)
      > The quotation from Lewis is the following:
      > C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but
      the form of
      > every virtue at the testing point."
      > Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_.
      The one
      > place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says
      that it's in the
      > 28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find
      it in the
      > 29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in
      difference editions?
      > Wendell Wagner

      Kim here - and this is my first post to this group after lurking a
      while, so, please bear with me!

      I have an old, ratty paperback version of Screwtape - which was the
      first of CS Lewis's works I read as a child after finishing Narnia -
      and the quote is in the 29th letter. I checked my new version of his
      signature classices, and it's in the 29th letter there, as well. I
      can't imagine any version changing the numbering.

      And, no matter which side you're on in the war debate - isn't this a
      great quote to use? It's always encouraging to me when
      contemporaries seek wisdom from great thinkers and writers.

      Kim Jaudon

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic