17775Lewis, Oyarses and Bernardus Silvestris

  • lakowskir
    Feb 5, 2007
      I found the "source" for the Wikipedia entry. Walter Hooper in C.S. Lewis
      Companion and Guide (207-08) quotes the relevant passage from Bernardus
      Silvestris in Latin with an English translation. He also adds that one
      of Lewis's colleagues at Madgalen had suggested to him that "Oyarses"
      was a corruption of "Ousiarches" from Pseudo-Apuleius. Besides, the
      reference noted by John Rateliff to Ch.22 of Out of the Silent Planet,
      Lewis seems to be also translating from him at the end of the Postscript.

      Lewis refers to Silvestris in a number of his academic works (see Bernardus
      Silvestris in the Indices), including Studies in Medieval and Renaissance
      Literature, The Discarded Image, Studies in Words, A Preface to Paradise
      Lost, and The Allegory of Love, in which he devotes several pages (90-98
      in my edition) to Bernardus. He also includes a quote from him at the
      beginning of Book 10 of A Pilgrim's Regress.

      There is a convenient translation of the Cosmographia in the Columbia
      Records of Civilization series (1973) and an edition of the Latin text
      by Peter Dronke (1978).

      Romuald (Ronnie) I. Lakowski

      > Check the last chapter of OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, where 'Ransom'
      > writes to CSL himself for more information about Bernardus
      > Silvestris' use of the word OYARSES.
      >
      > --JDR
      >

      > On Feb 5, 2007, at 2:01 PM, lakowskir wrote:
      >
      > > Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
      > > which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
      > > Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
      > > Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
      > > Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
      > > somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
      > > remember where.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic