      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com on behalf of lakowskir
      Sent: Mon 2/5/2007 4:01 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Lewis name origin question

      Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
      which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
      Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
      Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
      Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
      somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
      remember where.

      Ronnie Lakowski
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...>
      wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is an avid Lewis reader.
      >
      > She is wondering if anyone might know the origin of the
      name "Oyarsa" from Out of the Silent Planet. She has heard of the
      term "Orisa" or "Orisha"--a spirit in the Yoruba religion of Africa
      and the New World/Brazil--and wondered if Lewis might have adapted
      that word when he coined the name for his eldil.