      From: Popular Culture & American Culture Associations/H-Net Discussion
      list [mailto:H-PCAACA@...] On Behalf Of James Brian Wagaman
      Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:19 PM
      To: H-PCAACA@...
      Subject: CFP: Narnia Edited Collection (11/15/06; collection)

      Deadline: November 15, 2006
      CFP: Through the Wardrobe: Essays on C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of

      Call for Papers:

      We are looking for essays dealing with various aesthetic, historical,
      and philosophical aspects of C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia for
      our proposed edited anthology, Through the Wardrobe: Essays on C. S.
      Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia. While we are looking for scholarly
      essays, our book is designed to appeal to both scholars and fans of
      C.S. Lewis's Narnia novels, and we are thus hoping for intelligent
      but clear and accessible writing. Given the perennial interest in
      children's fantasy fiction including Lewis's series, the seeming
      rise of interest in fantasy following the enormous success of J. K.
      Rowling's Harry Potter series, the interesting cultural phenomenon of
      C. S. Lewis's variable reputation among Christian communities in the
      United States, the curious differences between the reception of Lewis
      and the reception of Rowling, pertinent questions concerning the
      psychological impact on children of fantasy fiction, and the recent
      release of the enormously popular Disney/Walden film adaptation of
      The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, we are confident that a
      collection of scholarly essays focused on Lewis's children's series
      will prove to be of broad interest; in fact, due to the success of
      our recent Through the Wardrobe conference, we have already received
      indications of interest from scholarly publishers. Potential essay
      topics might include literary analysis of Lewis's series in
      connection to its historical, philosophical, and literary antecedents
      or analysis making use of critical lenses associated with cultural
      studies. The collection might also include analyses of Lewis's
      fantasy in relation to the current popularity of J. R. R. Tolkien's
      and J. K. Rowling's works, or other pertinent fantasy.

      Potential topics include

      The connection of Lewis's Narnia books to other works of fantasy,
      including works by Tolkien and Rowling
      Issues of adaptation in the translation of Narnian Fiction into a
      Spectacle of Film
      Lewis's Ideas of Fantasy, Story, and Myth
      The impact of Lewis's Christianity on the novels
      Psychological Issues Involved in Reading the Novels, including the
      impact of reading fantasy on children
      Philosophical, Political, and Ethical Issues, including the depiction
      of evil or the issues of colonialism, imperialism, sexism, and racism
      Narnia seen through the lens of ethnic or gender studies, religious
      studies, anthropology, sociology, psychology, folklore, etc.
      The impact of Lewis's Friendships with Tolkien and the Inklings on
      the novels
      Narnian Predecessors and Narnian Influences
      Narnia and Genre Considerations
      Narnia and Audience Expectations
      Narnia and Educational Theory
      Narnia in the Context of Children's Literature
      Narnia and the varied responses and controversies surrounding the

      Proposals of 500-750 words or full essays of approximately 4,000-
      5,000 words should be accompanied by a brief bio. Proposals must be
      received via email by November 15, 2006 by Craig Svonkin at
      svonkco@.... Questions are welcome.

      Looking for earth-friendly autos?