1769Re: [mythsoc] Recent Fantasy

  • David S. Bratman
    Jul 2, 2000
      Bill -

      You need not convince me of the startling similarities between Tolkien
      and Donaldson, Eddings, etc. Nor is there any question whence these
      similarities.

      But beyond that, a specific formula has grown up, out of this general
      form, which Tolkien does not follow, and which makes him disappointing to
      those who are expecting it.

      Not being gifted with this mindset, it's difficult for me to describe it,
      but among the stumbling-blocks which readers of this sort find in LOTR
      are the very scanty and unsystematized use of magic, and the long
      meandering opening section before the adventure really gets going, along
      with various "slack" passages thereafter.

      Don't take my word for it: ask your customers. Certainly Tolkien is still
      popular among many, even the young, but you will also find many young
      readers who've grown up on later fantasists and who find Tolkien very
      difficult or uninteresting.

      David Bratman