17689Re: [mythsoc] Re: For JDR: Query on Hobbit geography

  • Walter Padgett
    Jan 1, 2007
      The Arkenstone as the Silmaril of Maidros? That's a new one on me... That
      would indeed make Bilbo a hero of doubled sacrifice, compared to his
      favorite cousin. Frodo. Interesting, but impossible, I think. Unless it
      can be a matter of considering as ultimate the heirlooms of the First Age as
      utterly passed away, their significance lost and forgotten with the
      cataclysmic change of the world. That light with which the fate of the
      world is bound up, the light of the two trees, certainly can not be the
      light of the Arkenstone as it appears in the Third Age, can it? What was
      the fate of that stone, anyway? Was it buried with Thorin, only to be
      restored to the bowels of the Earth? What was the experience of those
      dwarves who basked in its radiance? Speculation . . .

      wp