17661Re: [mythsoc] Re: old favorites and sagging canon

  • Bill West
    Dec 24, 2006
      Most of the list appears every summer on the various summer
      reading lists I see at the bookstore, although the more challenging
      works usually are assigned by the Catholic schools. I can tell by
      what books the parent or student asks for the high school the
      child is attending . Seamus Heaney's " Beowulf" for example
      usually means the customer's list is from Boston College High
      School. Recently a split developed on Homer. Some of the
      schools prefer the Fitzgerald translation to the new Fagles.

      The biggest problem, IMHO, to a student reading all of the list
      is the education system itself. It's not the individual teacher's fault
      but they can only teach or assign so much in one year. How many of
      us who took US History in high school ever got up to present day,
      for example? And now at least in Mass. they spend time preparing
      and reviewing for the MCAS exams. I'm all for improving test
      scores but what about education?

      Ah well. I plan to spend some time reading the older Butler prose
      translations of Homer and Vergil I picked up for half price at the
      store. Not as beautiful as the verse versions but it's nostalgia for
      me. I read The Odyssey back in the 3rd or 4th grade.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic