17642Re: [mythsoc] 2007 Mythopoeic Awards nominations

  • AMV Howard
    Dec 20, 2006

      This reminds me that I really need to renew my membership (moving to another
      continent is not precisely conducive to keeping on top of these things) and
      then I would very much like to serve on the scholarship committee again.

      On 12/18/06, Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...> wrote:
      > 2007 Mythopoeic Awards Announcement
      > Individual members of the Mythopoeic Society are invited to nominate
      > books for the 2007 Mythopoeic Awards, and/or to volunteer to serve on
      > any of the committees. (You need not join the committee to make
      > nominations.) Deadline for committee volunteers and for nominations
      > (limit of five per person per category, please!) is February 15,
      > 2007; send nominations to the awards administrator (see contact info
      > below) via e-mail (preferred) or U.S. mail. Authors or publishers may
      > not nominate their own books for any of the awards. Books published
      > by the Mythopoeic Press are not eligible for the awards. The
      > Mythopoeic Society does not accept or review unsolicited manuscripts.
      > The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature is given to the
      > fantasy novel, multi-volume novel, or single-author story collection
      > for adults published during the previous year that best exemplifies
      > "the spirit of the Inklings". Books not selected as finalists in the
      > year after publication are eligible for a second year. Books from a
      > series are eligible if they stand on their own; otherwise, the series
      > becomes eligible the year its final volume appears.
      > The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature honors books
      > for younger readers (from "Young Adults" to picture books for
      > beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles
      > of Narnia. Rules for eligibility are otherwise the same as for the
      > Adult literature award. The question of which award a borderline book
      > is best suited for will be decided by consensus of the committees.
      > The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies is given to
      > books on J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and/or Charles Williams that
      > make significant contributions to Inklings scholarship. For this
      > award, books first published during the previous three years are
      > eligible, including finalists for previous years.
      > The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies is given
      > to scholarly books on other specific authors in the Inklings
      > tradition, or to more general works on the genres of myth and
      > fantasy. The period of eligibility is three years, as for the
      > Inklings Studies award.
      > Winners of the 2007 Mythopoeic Awards will be announced at the 38th
      > Annual Mythopoeic Conference (Mythcon 38), to be held from August
      > 3-6, 2007, at the Clark Kerr Conference Center in Berkeley,
      > California.
      > Please contact Eleanor Farrell, the Awards Administrator, to nominate
      > books, volunteer for committees, or ask questions about the
      > Mythopoeic Awards process.
      > Eleanor Farrell
      > Mythopoeic Awards Administrator
      > P.O. Box 320486
      > San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      > E-mail: emfarrell@... <emfarrell%40earthlink.net>

      Alana M. Vincent Howard, BFA MA
      Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts
      University of Glasgow

      Flat 1/2
      11 Kelvinhaugh Gate
      G3 8PY