1763Re: [mythsoc] Recent Fantasy

  • Bill
    Jul 2, 2000
      If, somehow, the current boom had gotten started without them
      >and had taken its current form, they are both way too outside the formula
      >(yes, Tolkien is outside the formula inspired by his own works) to be
      >successful as they stand from a publisher aiming at riding the boom.

      Hmm..I put this in a second email because I'm puzzled a bit by it.
      The formula for most of the bestselling fantasys are so much Tolkienish
      I fail to see why JRR would be outside it. You can draw up a chart
      with all the Eddings, Shannara, Feist, Williams and Jordan series and
      check off the similiarities to LoTR. I once used to amuse a friend with a
      litany of "Gandalf begat Alannon, who begat Belgarath, who begat..." etc.
      The wizard from the Dragonlance trilogy was in there too, but I forgot his
      name. <g>
      Even Donaldson could be said to follow in Tolkien's steps, except as the
      Now, if by some publishing catastorphe (and no matter what we may think
      about some of these series, their ceasing to be would be disastrous to the
      genre and some publishers)they all vanished, De Lint might...MIGHT ..show
      a minor blip in sales. But I doubt it, as much as I love his work. I've
      tried to handsell his books to readers who were looking to read something
      while chomping at the bit for Jordan's next installment. Mind you, I was
      fairly sure it was a case of apples and oranges. I was right,in most cases.
      On the other hand, I had great success selling GAME OF THRONES when it first
      was published because I used a description from somewhere that called it
      "The War of the Roses meets Tolkien". We sold 56 copies in a month, and led
      the chain in sales for it.
      If anything, we are about to enter another Tolkien influenced boom,if
      my hunch is right. There is the Dungeons and Dragons movie possibly out
      this fall.(Since there is a new rules system being released for the game
      about the same time I think it's a safe assumption that it will be the
      fall.) And of course LoTR due out the year after..

      Bill W.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic