17592Re: The Somme, Tolkien, and Black Riders.

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Dec 12, 2006
      Did anything further come of last summer's questionable report of
      Tolkien's equestrian adventure on the Western Front?

      This week at TheOneRing.net, there is a discussion of the use that
      Tolkien makes of horses in LotR; the first part of the discussion
      appears here:

      http://www.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/457D98CE
      00026287.html

      One respondent to that thread noted the Rev. John Waddington-
      Feather's story. There as here, some people expressed doubts (and
      having subsequently found the discussion here, I have posted a link
      in the TORn thread to this list's archives, recommending
      particularly John and Janet's responses). One participant in the
      new discussion has written to Waddington-Feather for further
      information (no response yet), but had someone here (or elsewhere,
      if you know) already followed up on that angle? Diamond?

      -Merlin DeTardo

      >>---"Stolzi" <Stolzi@...> wrote:
      >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
      >> Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the
      bottom) by the Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give
      Tolkien's son (which one?) as his authority.
      >> A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry
      horse? Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
      >> I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
      well as secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
      >> And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before -
      by me, anyway? Have any of you heard it?
      >> Diamond Proudbrook
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic