17585Re: [mythsoc] Re: Bombadil

  • David Emerson
    Dec 11, 2006
      >From: Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>
      >
      >> Another way of looking at Bombadil is as Tarot card zero ...
      >
      >David, I found your Tarot comments fascinating. Have you done any more detailed work on this? If so, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

      No, all that was just off the top of my head. I studied Tarot several years ago, and find that it often becomes a useful template for viewing things. As I implied in my earlier post, the closer something comes to embodying universal archetypes, the closer its correspondences with Tarot images and concepts.

      >I couldn't help but think of Italo Calvino's The Castle of Crossed Destinies, which makes very explicit use of the Tarot as a storytelling device.

      He's not the only one. Piers Anthony did that too (though he's not as good a writer). Also T.A. Waters in a 1974 novel _Center Force_. Probably more I don't know about.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com