1751Re: [mythsoc] Recent Fantasy

  • Bill
    Jul 1, 2000
      Jordan's view, in my opinion, is strictly mercenary.
      The series was originally only to be 5 books.
      He makes the bestseller list.
      The series will now be 8 books..
      He continues to make the bestseller list...
      Oh...make that 11 books...
      I may be jaded here, but the man is making big money for both himself
      and Tor. He has all sorts of incentive to be as circuitous as he wishes.
      There have been stories in the past that he tends to churn out the
      pages very slowly. One before the last book said he was so long in
      finishing it that Tor put him up in a hotel in NYC and had each day's
      writing output picked up on that day.
      Let me clarify what I meant earlier. It's my memory that in the early
      seventies the fantasy genre was in decline. The Ballantine Adult Fantasy
      series as edited by Lin Carter was for all intent and purposes dead. I
      have said before how much that series influenced me, introducing me to
      Dunsany, Morris, Cabell, Smith, and others. But except, perhaps, for
      Kurtz's original Deryni trilogy, none of it was a commercial success.
      While we as readers may not care if a book we love hits the marks the
      publishers set for it, they do. Failure to sell a certain amount of
      copies will determine whether or not they will keep a book in print on
      their backlists.The books I loved didn't make that figure,and that,
      possibly combined with whatever negotiations with heirs needed for
      reprints, meant those books went out of print from Ballantine.
      DAW books started up around this time, but Wollheim used his
      Ace Books contacts and writers like Moorcock,Norton, and MZB were the
      foundation. McCaffrey was Ballantine's big name, and Zelazny turned
      out Amber books for Avon. Those were the big names. Pickings were
      slim after that.
      Then DelRey revived the Adult Fantasy line with some books and
      writers that are not very memorable and with the Deryni series. They
      sold enough books to keep it going and then along came Brooks and

      Eddings. NYT bestselling fantasy. Yes, MZB had done it once. These
      guys did it again and again. Other publishers went hunting and came
      up with Feist and Williams and Jordan. They made money. They looked
      more, and there was Goodkind and Jones and Martin.
      They also establshed some midlist writers, like Carroll, Hoffman,
      Powers, DeLint, Tepper...and so on....
      Maybe we'd have found all of them eventually.Maybe not.
      But I seriously doubt the publishers would have taken a close look
      without the vision of another Jordan or some other name floating in
      their heads.
      But as I said,maybe I'm jaded....
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic