1743Re: [mythsoc] Tepper & others

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Jul 1 7:06 AM

      > What was the one, either Tepper or maybe McKillip or ? about the girl who
      > was, sorry, yes, raped by her father, then goes to live in the wilderness
      > wtih her hound and eventually triumphs as a quasi-myth-fulfilling woman?
      > That had some wonderful moments.
      >
      > Lizzie

      Lizzie,

      You're recollecting Robin McKinley's "Deerskin." I was greatly moved by
      this book when I read it, but I've read several reviews and comments by
      people who were "disturbed" or "upset" by the book, especially the violence
      perpetrated on the main character which starts things moving. I don't
      consume much violence on TV, in movies or in my reading (I've only seen the
      local news on TV 3 or 4 times in the last ten years because I don't need the
      aggravation it adds to daily life) so I doubt that I have become
      desensitized to it, but I wasn't horrified as some others were.
      What did you think?