17341Re: [mythsoc] Some Interesting Issues: (Was: Re: J. Chance / Marquette)

  • Walter Padgett
    Dec 3, 2006
      Yes. I'm with you guys on this.

      I don't suppose Dickens scholars, (or Hemingway scholars or any other lovers
      of a group of author's works, for that matter), "make a living" out of their
      scholarship on such. Professors get paid for *teaching*, too. Underpaid
      Ph.D.'s have choices about how they are going to make a living, and more
      opportunities than they imagine, I would guess (generalizing).

      The context of the conflict: The one point is to make a living. The other
      point is to do scholarship (or theory or criticism) from the heart, and not
      have it be bound up with the necessity of meeting life's demands, whatever
      the medium of exchange we decide to use for economic purposes.

      Doing Inkling scholarship almost always just comes naturally to these folks,
      regardless of the money, property or prestige it may involve.

      I think any of us can get a little testy when we have something at stake in
      the game, but money doesn't seem to have a lot to do with that.

      Thanks, Walter.