17339Re: [mythsoc] Re: mythology for England
- Dec 2, 2006Walter wrote, in regard to mythology:
>There is no common ground for an understanding of this ancient term.Three brief responses to this come to mind.
>It should be relegated to the archaic.
1) A good writer will be able to convey clearly the meaning of myth,
mythology etc. -- or of any other term -- as he or she wishes it to be
understood in a particular context.
2) If what you suggest for mythology were applied to all such "ancient
terms", our vocabulary would be much reduced.
3) If the word was good enough for Tolkien, it's good enough for me.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>