17339Re: [mythsoc] Re: mythology for England

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Dec 2, 2006
      Walter wrote, in regard to mythology:

      >There is no common ground for an understanding of this ancient term.
      >
      >It should be relegated to the archaic.

      Three brief responses to this come to mind.

      1) A good writer will be able to convey clearly the meaning of myth,
      mythology etc. -- or of any other term -- as he or she wishes it to be
      understood in a particular context.

      2) If what you suggest for mythology were applied to all such "ancient
      terms", our vocabulary would be much reduced.

      3) If the word was good enough for Tolkien, it's good enough for me.

      Wayne