17329Re: [mythsoc] Some Interesting Issues: (Was: Re: J. Chance / Marquette)

    Dec 2, 2006
      In a message dated 12/1/2006 2:18:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      He's not a programmer. A sneering article attacking the editors of the
      Tolkien linguistic material once described him as "a record store clerk,"
      but while he does work at a record store his position is more responsible
      than that. And the article distinctly failed to mention that he has a
      Ph.D. in Germanic linguistics. (He should be a professor somewhere, but
      have you seen the job market lately? There's a lot of underemployed Ph.D.s
      out there.)

      You're right, and I think I even knew that. I may have gotten him mixed up
      with Christopher Gilson, one of the other major Tolkien linguists, who is a
      programmer, I believe. And to complete the set of major Tolkien linguists,
      there's Patrick Wynne, who does something associated with dentistry (dental
      assistant, manufacturer of false teeth, anyway something associated with
      dentistry but not a dentist). In any case, the point is that most of us don't make
      our living out of the Inklings.