17310Re: [mythsoc] Re: About dwarves and their connection with nordic myth ...

  • Larry Swain
    Dec 1, 2006
      Jason wrote:

      > Yes, I agree with Larry. It's not beyond the realm of possibility,
      > but I think it far more likely that Tolkien got the names directly
      > from the Old Norse than through a French intermediary. Many of the
      > hobbit names seem to have come from the Continent,

      Just enquiring about the last statement....The hobbit names came from the Continent? Bracegirdles, Proudfoot, Baggins are Continental names? I've done any sort of name-study, esp of the hobbits, so I'm curious.

      ljs