17282Re: [mythsoc] Re: Fastitocalon

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Dec 1, 2006
      Jason wrote:

      >Ah, I don't have my copy in front of me to refer to, but you must be (or
      >Shippey must have been) referring to its appearance in Stapeldon Magazine,
      >Vol. 7, No. 40. The earlier version of "Oliphaunt" was also published in
      >that issue. And lest you think I just rattled that off from the top of my
      >head, hahae, here's a useful little chronological bibliography I often
      >find myself referring to:
      >
      > http://www.forodrim.org/arda/tbchron.html

      Carpenter missed it in the chronological checklist of Tolkien's works in
      the back of the first edition of the Biography, but picked it up in the
      1987 edition and later. It's also listed elsewhere, e.g. the Tolkien
      Descriptive Bibliography (1993). A few lines are quoted in the
      "Fastitocalon" entry in the Companion and Guide (vol. 2, pp. 295-7), which
      like Larry's article explores the roots of the poem (both poems with that
      title) in the Physiologus, the Voyage of St Brendan, etc.

      Wayne Hammond