17128Mythlore 95/96 is here!

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Nov 1, 2006
      And if you're a subscriber, it will be in your hands soon!

      Contents for this really thick (216 pages!) double issue include:

      * "In the Hilt is Fame": Resonances of Medieval Swords and
      Sword-lore in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
      (K.S. Whetter and R. Andrew McDonald)
      * Myth Maker, Unicorn Maker: C.S. Lewis and the Reshaping of
      Medieval Thought (Chad Wriglesworth)
      * The Theory and Practice of Alliterative Verse in the Work of
      J.R.R. Tolkien (Mark F. Hall)
      * "Surely You Don't Disbelieve": Tolkien and Pius X:
      Anti-Modernism in Middle-earth (A.R. Bossert)
      * The Shell-shocked Hobbit: The First World War and Tolkien's
      Trauma of the Ring (Michael Livingston)
      * Lord Dunsany and the Great War: Don Rodriguez and the Rebirth of
      Romance (David J. Carlson)
      * Playing by the Rules: Kipling's "Great Game" vs. "The Great
      Dance" in C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Teresa Hooper)
      * An Unexpected Guest (Anne Amison)
      * Dreaming of Dragons: Tolkien's Impact on Heaney's Beowulf
      (Felicia Jean Steele)
      * Wise Warriors in Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling (Ernelle Fife)
      * From Isolation to Community: Frodo's Incomplete Personal Quest
      in The Lord of the Rings (Devin Brown)
      * Bombadil's Role in The Lord of the Rings (Michael Treschow and
      Mark Duckworth)
      * "Where is that Worthless Dreamer?" Bottom's Fantastic Redemption
      in Hoffman's A Midsummer Night's Dream (Frank P. Riga)

      Enjoy!

      Janet

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/

      "We cannot abandon what we are fighting to defend; that would make our
      self-defence indefensible." Harriet Vane in A Presumption of Death, Jill
      Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers