16988Re: [mythsoc] Children of Hurin

    Sep 19, 2006
      In a message dated 9/19/2006 4:18:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      ferretolk@... writes:

      Are your sure about this ? HarperCollins never officially replied to my
      question when I asked them about updated figures. The last "official"
      figures I know were published in P Curry's _Defending ME_, ten years ago !.

      A German grad student who was one of the speakers at Tolkien 2005 in
      Birmingham last year told me this. He was working on a Ph.D. thesis about the
      American reception of _The Lord of the Rings_ in the 1960's, which he spoke about
      in his talk. When he took questions after the talk, I asked if he knew how
      many copies had been sold. I had discussed this very question on this mailing
      list shortly before this (and had discussed it elsewhere too), so I decided
      I would try to get it resolved if I could during the conference. I was
      asking everybody there I could if they knew of any official figures on the amount
      of sales. The German grad student said that he had just talked to people at
      HarperCollins and they said that it was over 100 million authorized copies
      and about 150 million if you counted unauthorized copies. I can't find my copy
      of the Tolkien 2005 program schedule. Does anybody else have a copy? Can
      you tell me the German grad student's name and his academic association?