16937RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien Criticism

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Sep 6, 2006
      Ashleigh--Take a look at the bibliographies in Tolkien Studies. If your
      institution gets Project Muse, it's available online. If you need to ILL
      it, in v.1 (2004) it's pages 183-189 and called "Bibliography (in
      English) for 2001-2002; in v.2 (2005) "Addenda and Corrigenda" to the
      v.1 list is on p. 288 and "Bibliography (in English) for 2003" on p.
      317-322, and in v. 3 (2006) "Bibliography (in English) for 2004" pages
      267-276 with addenda to the 2003 list on 276.

      I think it's as close to exhaustive as you're likely to get for
      scholarly articles and books, but they do sometimes miss a few. If you
      say "at least xx articles and books" as you proposed, you should be
      safe. You might add "in English" because there are thriving scholarly
      journals in other countries as well - I know of at least one in Germany.

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      Fax 405-325-7618

      "We cannot abandon what we are fighting to defend; that would make our
      self-defence indefensible." Harriet Vane in A Presumption of Death, Jill
      Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers