16916Fw: CFP: Arthurian TV (10/15/06; PCA/ACA, 4/7/07-4/10/07)

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Aug 31, 2006
      From one of my colleagues who knows I'm interested in this sort of
      thing...see http://www.popularculture.org/ for more info.
      ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 08/31/2006 08:40 AM -----

      Paul Kauppila <pkauppil@...>
      08/30/2006 05:44 PM

      edith.Crowe@...
      cc

      Subject
      Fwd: CFP: Arthurian TV (10/15/06; PCA/ACA, 4/7/07-4/10/07)

      CALL FOR PAPERS: SPECIAL SESSION OF THE ARTHURIAN LEGENDS AREA

      >MR. MERLIN'S NEIGHBORHOOD: THE MATTER OF BRITAIN ON TV
      >
      >PROPOSALS DUE TO ORGANIZER BY 10/15/06
      >
      >We seek papers of 15 to 20 minutes for inclusion in a session devoted
      >to the Arthurian legend on television to be hosted by the Arthurian
      >Legends Area at the 2007 meeting of the Popular Culture Association to
      >convene at the Boston Marriott Copley Place, Boston, Mass., from 4-7
      >April 2007. In addition, submissions will also be considered for
      >inclusion in an essay collection on the general topic of medieval
      >themes on television. For potential topics and a bibliographic guide
      >to the Arthurian (and the medieval) in electronic multimedia, please
      >visit The Medieval Studies at the Movies web site at
      ><http://MedievalStudiesattheMovies.org>.
      >

      >SESSION RATIONALE:
      >
      >Thanks largely to the efforts of Arthurian film scholar Kevin Harty,
      >most enthusiasts of American Arthurian popular culture are familiar
      >with the wide variety of Arthurian-themed films that have been
      >produced in the United States since the beginning of the twentieth
      >century, yet relatively few of these individuals know about the
      >equally active world of Arthurian television programming, which
      >includes material produced in the United States as well as Canada, the
      >United Kingdom, and Japan. For the initiated, the televisual Matter
      >of Britain is a fascinating world, which includes animated series
      >(most recently discussed by Michael Salda), comedies, documentaries,
      >dramas, made-for-television movies, science fiction series, and
      >westerns in addition to the expected action adventure and fantasy
      >series. Like film, Arthurian television has produced some
      >disappointments, such as Robert Mandell's PRINCESS GWENEVERE AND THE
      >JEWEL RIDERS and Bobcat Goldwaithe's appearance as Merlin on ABC's
      >SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH, but, also like Arthurian film, Arthurian
      >television has its gemsâ??J. Michael Straczynski's "A Late Delivery from
      >Avalon" episode of BABYLON 5, the Family Channel's THE LEGEND OF
      >PRINCE VALIANT, and the Disney Channel's THE FOUR DIAMONDS come most
      >immediately to mind. The purpose of this panel is to let the
      >spotlight shine briefly on this ephemeral cousin to Arthurian film and
      >allow those who know these works most intimately to share them with
      >the wider audience that they deserve.
      >

      >We are particularly interested in representations of Arthurian
      >characters, relics, and motifs in episodic television (cartoons,
      >dramas, sitcoms, science fiction, etc.) but will also consider
      >proposals devoted to the following topics: documentaries, telefilms,
      >and the performing arts on television. Be advised that audio/visual
      >equipment will be limited to the following: DVD players and TV
      >monitors.
      >

      >Please submit abstracts of 250-500 words, by 15 October 2006, along
      >with your paper title, complete contact information, and affiliation
      >(if any), to the session organizer at the following address:

> [...]

      Paul Kauppila
      Reference/Instruction Librarian
      Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
      San Jose State University