16783Re: [mythsoc] BBC NEWS | Magazine | The Somme and Tolkien

  • John D Rateliff
    Jul 3 4:00 PM
      The "Schoolmaster" would have been Michael Tolkien.
      Pretty much a work of fiction, I fear. Whoever came up with that
      story doesn't take into account No Man's Land, with its deep mud and
      multiple barriers of barbed wire -- not something a horse could
      casually gallop across.
      As for "Uhlans", wikipedia says some fought in the early weeks of
      the war (e.g., summer/fall 1914) but were then dismounted once trench
      warfare began or else transferred to the Eastern Front, where calvary
      was still actually effective.
      There are also minor quibbles, but let them pass. Clearly
      apocryphal.