16781BBC NEWS | Magazine | The Somme and Tolkien

  • Stolzi
    Jul 3, 2006

      Interesting, but no mention of John Garth's book, though I would bet she has
      read it, or at least heard him speak.

      Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the bottom) by the
      Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give Tolkien's son (which
      one?) as his authority.

      A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry horse?
      Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?

      I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as well as
      secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.

      And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before - by me,
      anyway? Have any of you heard it?

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic