16565An Old Question

  • Jay Hershberger
    May 4, 2006
      Dear Mythsoc-ers,

      I have an old question to pose. Can any of you point me toward credible
      and reflective articles that: 1) charge Tolkien and his fiction with
      racism, and
      2) defend Tolkien and his fiction from that charge?

      I am in the process of preparing a class on Tolkien for first-semester
      freshmen that would serve as an introductory course on the liberal arts.
      Although I am music professor-I teach piano-I am also interested in
      teaching outside of my discipline as a means of making connections with
      other facets of the liberal arts tradition. While I have my own opinion
      on the subject of Tolkien and race (he was not a racist, nor is his
      fiction guilty of perpetuating it), I would like to be able to present
      to students thoughtful and informed arguments on both sides of the
      issue, and perhaps learn a little more about the literature on this
      particular topic for purposes of potential research essays for students.
      Any thoughts?

      Thanks for your time.

      Cheers,

      Jay Hershberger, DMA