16414Re: [mythsoc] Joseph Pearce

  • Mike Foster
    Mar 5, 2006
      Matt,
      Jay's take on JP is pretty accurate. He is indeed a lively speaker. As
      a Tolkien scholar who's also a cradle Catholic, I've written and
      lectured on JRRT's faith a time or six.

      That being said, I find JP's Catholic take on JRRT too Procrustean, too
      constraining, and too conservative: almost every one of JRRT's works
      ends with a revolution. Certainly JRRT's work have that element
      subsumed, but too narrow a focus reminds one of Aesop's blind man, who
      was sure that an elephant was very much like a rope.

      I said as much in a review of his book for -Faith & Reason-.

      Ave Maria is indeed very conservative, a university built by pizza.
      Makes my old school Marquette look like Arizona State.

      That being said, go see him. He's certainly fun to listen to and fences
      well with questioners. After the event, if you can spirit him off to
      some place with wine and [best case] Stilton cheese & lots of it, he'll
      be good company.

      Mike