163Re: General

  • Jim Bohannon
    Jun 13, 1999
      FrMacKen@... wrote:

      > From: FrMacKen@...
      >
      > Hello,
      > This is my first email to your society. I am a great devotee to
      > Tolkien as well as a student of Celtic lore. This letter is to make my
      > presence known and to put forth a query: What does this mailing list do?
      > Forgive me for this naiveness of mine. I know the goal of the Mythopoeic
      > Society, but not of this mailing list. It seemed like a good list to be on.
      > I hope to hear a reply soon.
      > Thank you
      > Ron Speer

      I lend my hardy second to Ron's naive query -- two naive wanderers now
      on a quest, I suppose, to find out how we might engage in noble
      discussion on this list.

      I joined several days ago, and had all but forgotten until Ron's
      e-mail. I am a C. S. Lewis fan myself and thought the list might be a
      good place to learn and discuss. Are there others here, or are Ron and
      I alone? Ron, I have been staring at my Tolkein volumes -- some, I
      hesitantly confess I have owned for a while but have never read --
      thinking of launching into a fresh read of familiar works, and a
      first-time read of those works into which I have yet to journey.

      I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
      MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
      and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
      suggestions on the best way to proceed?

      Blessings,

      Jim Bohannon
      Milledgeville, Georgia