16132Re: [mythsoc] Question about LOTR and redeeming Nordicmythology

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Jan 5, 2006
      Good stuff, David!

      Ironically, I now have 3 degrees of separation to that "ruddy li'l
      ignoramus'". My neighbor's father knew
      Werhner Von Braun, who told her & her family in the '50s about how Adolph had
      become a whitehaired little
      wacko in a totally psycho state in his bunker, didn't have any photos taken of
      him after the early '40s. Now I want to dredge this lode of info for more! I
      assume the rotten little spud didn't repent of any of his craziness, but the
      image of that
      wizened Einsteinian guy ranting in the darknesses...sounds like one of the
      archetypal novels we read & write.

      Here we are, still only one or so generations removed from Tolkien and those
      he shared history with. Let us not forget, let us keep passing the memories as
      best as we can to the future.

      Bonnie Callahan

      David Bratman wrote:

      > At 05:25 PM 1/4/2006 +0000, Sharon Bolding wrote:
      > >I spent part of the holidays watching a one-day marathon of all three
      > >LOTR movies. While watching it occured to me that Tolkein was showing
      > >the Nordic tradition in its most positive way for the triumpth of good.
      > >And at the same time, I was thinking about how the Nazi in WWII really
      > >twisted and corrupted that same tradition to evil intents. Is there any
      > >research or even any basis to believe that Tolkein may have tried to
      > >redeem the mythology from it's false corruption by the Nazi?
      > You bet he did. In both his literary and scholarly work. He wrote to a
      > son serving in World War II: "I have in this War a burning private grudge -
      > which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22 [in
      > World War I]: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler ... [for]
      > ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble
      > northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved,
      > and tried to present in its true light."
      > [in above quote, for "Tolkein" read "Tolkien", for "Nazi" read "Nazis" and
      > for "it's" read "its"]
      > DB
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic