16114Re: New Oxford Review on CSL

  • Lezlie
    Jan 3, 2006
      Very enjoyable! You know...there might *be* a ballet in Perelandra ...
      the Muses know that stranger material has been mined for ballet
      choreographers (if that's the terminology). I suspect Lewis would
      disapprove of "that modern stuff", though. Lezlie

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Stolzi" <Stolzi@c...> wrote:

      > An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
      >
      > http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0599-gray
      >
      > ' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance
      production entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in
      tights and slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining
      Lewis had baffled me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over
      my head. Ransom on relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on
      point? Though I have read Lewis's novel many times I have never
      glimpsed a ballet hidden in it. The picture that comes to my mind when
      reading it (a picture that gives me great pleasure) is of a sedentary
      professor vigorously scribbling into fictive life an oceanic paradise
      and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The professor is plump and
      balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study cloudy with tobacco
      smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled sleeve of his
      tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '