16109RE: [mythsoc] Re: CSL documentary

  • Hugh Davis
    Jan 2, 2006
      I was a bit underwhelmed with this special. When I saw it was to air, I half
      expected it to be tied to the film (as I recall Bravo running a "Page to the
      Screen" special when one of the Tolkien adaptations came out). The fact it
      wasn't was certainly fine, but the end result felt more like going through
      the motions than anything else. The material was all solid, but it felt a
      bit pedestrian in its execution.

      Hugh

      >From: "Anthony and Jessica" <herenistarion@...>
      >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [mythsoc] Re: CSL documentary
      >Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:49:34 -0000
      >
      >Greetings John:
      >Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
      >documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
      >the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
      >about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
      >life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
      >a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
      >Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
      >re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
      >each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
      >Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
      >Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
      >bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
      >finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
      >Best
      >Anthony
      >NE Tolkien Society
      >
      >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
      >wrote:
      > >
      > > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
      >documentary
      > > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
      >Discovery
      > > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
      >but
      > > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
      > >
      > > --JDR

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic