16105Re: [mythsoc] New Oxford Review on CSL

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Jan 1, 2006
      I'm a vet for so long that I can tell you Sherwood Smith choreographed " Til We
      Have Faces"
      for the 1973 Mythcon. I was Orual. Just an impressionistic little piece,
      performed by candlelight
      to music from the "Lady & the Unicorn" album.

      Cirque Du Soleil could do Perelandra, rather uniquely, I'd think. (Is that the
      sound of DB hurling?)

      This Blast from the Past has been brought to you all by
      Bonnie Callahan

      Happi New Year!

      David Bratman wrote:

      > At 10:13 AM 12/30/2005 -0600, New Oxford Review wrote:
      > >An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
      >
      > >' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance production
      > >entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in tights and
      > >slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining Lewis had baffled
      > >me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over my head. Ransom on
      > >relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on point? Though I have read
      > >Lewis's novel many times I have never glimpsed a ballet hidden in it.
      >
      > Sounds like the writer has simply never thought in terms of ballet about
      > anything at all. That's perfectly OK, as long as you don't make a virtue
      > out of it.
      >
      > > The
      > >picture that comes to my mind when reading it (a picture that gives me great
      > >pleasure) is of a sedentary professor vigorously scribbling into fictive
      > >life an oceanic paradise and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The
      > >professor is plump and balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study
      > >cloudy with tobacco smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled
      > >sleeve of his tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '
      >
      > I doubt very much that this is the picture Lewis wanted readers to have
      > when reading his novel. Focus on the story, not on the author.
      >
      > DB

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic