16104Re: [mythsoc] K.V. Johansen

    Jan 1, 2006
      At 09:10 PM 12/29/2005 -0500, B. Davis wrote:

      > I have a question for David, if he has time to respond: You wrote that
      >Johansen connects books which share structural similarities rather than
      >discussing flavor or style. Could you elaborate? Do you feel this limits
      >her analysis, or that there are other writers who do a better job of
      >discussing authorial style? (This isn't a criticism, I'm simply curious.)

      In a word, yes. Johansen is so knowledgable and generally perceptive that
      this was not a major problem with the book.

      Nevertheless, I as a reader (and especially when I was a child reader)
      found, as your nephews perhaps are finding, that it is the spirit of the
      book and approach of the author, not the surface characteristics, that make
      the similarities and differences between books that will best predict which
      other books I will like if a particular one appeals to me. Going from
      Tolkien to, say, David Eddings doesn't cut it for me.

      DB
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic