16085Re: Attributes Recognized during the Coronation Scene -- & about Ged

  • Lezlie
    Dec 26, 2005
      approach, portrays Gollum as opposed to the way Le Guin, who has read
      > her Jung, portray's Ged's Shadow.

      In fact—
      Le Guin has stated (in several contexts) that she only read Jung
      *after* she had written "Wizard of Earthsea". This actually makes
      sense, The Shadow is an archetype, one that Jung himself discussed as
      being a part of human unconscious and culture and not a creation of
      his own. His descriptions and analysis of The Shadow does depart for
      the journey Ged makes in a couple of interesting ways (that I won't go
      into further here…) Le Guin, rather, drew on tales of "filgia"
      (Norway) and the "ka" of ancient Egypt to create her story. (It is
      close enough to make for an interesting assignment for both freshman
      writing and psychology students, BTW.) Here is kind of a neat eassy
      about Earthsea: http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Mahy-Earthsea.html

      To Le Guin's credit, she does discuss Jung & Ged in her later
      interviews, saying that he did influence her later Earthsea books. I
      am of the opinion that Taoism influences her rather more. I don't
      have a direct quote from her about it, but I also suspect that the
      Gilgamesh Epics and the Descent of Innana are intertwined throughout
      Earthsea as well. I have a theory that some images are so deep in our
      consciousness that they "show up" unbidden in all sorts of
      placesincluding Narnia. (As Jung certainly predicted, as did, of
      course, Eliade, Campbell, and others …) Perhaps the Coronation Scene
      has this quality as well. (Remember that playing cards have two kings
      and two queens, too – based upon Tarot, true, but it's a "story" that
      is *there* in various forms in ancient myth as well. That the two
      Kings and two Queens are *there* still suggests an image buried deeply
      in the unconscious –) Or, maybe the scriptwriter was "playing" with
      imagery of his own as well. (I haven't seen the film *yet*.) Would
      make an interesting paper ... I am intrigued.

      What never fails to amaze me is that so many English teachers won't
      recommend Le Guin's books... too intellectual is the criticism I hear
      most often. This puzzles me greatly, most of the children I have
      given copies to love the books.

      The good news is that I have (finally!) a line on publishing my
      dissertation and soon, you can all read of my brilliant thoughts on
      all of the above and more...of course, it is on UMI. (I actually could
      use a little assistance in getting it into a book that everyone can
      read -- any suggestions for resources?) Lezlie