15978Re: A washingtonpost.com article from: chowlett@erols.com

  • Lezlie
    Dec 8, 2005
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@e...> wrote:

      > and they're not going to approach CSL's novels from a neutral
      > position but based on what they've heard of him from the past, the
      > cliches they've inherited from their parents and grandparents. For
      > example, suppose Pat Robertson were a talented poet as well as a
      > telvangelist: the number of people who'd read his poems a generation
      > or two from now with an open mind, not caring about his calls for us
      > to assassinate foreign leaders, is relatively few. Similarly, if
      > Michael Moore were a talented painter, odds are that only people who
      > agreed (more or less) with his political or economic views would be
      > open to looking at his art;

      Oh, I don't know about that, we all look at paintings, novels, music
      and poems from previous generations with more forgiving eyes after
      they are dead. There are a couple writers from the
      not-too-distant-past that we all read and forgive for their
      political/religious/social/sexual viewpoints because they tell a good
      story. Particularly the somewhere-to-the-right-of-Attila-the-Hun cold
      war writers of the recent past. Not to mention the militarists,
      propagandists, racists, anti-Semites (and, everyone else), Maoists,
      Libertines, capitalist apologists, anti-war activists, and a couple of
      out-and-out whakos that have graced our library shelves, opera halls
      and museum walls over the last couple of centuries. <insert wicked
      smile> Lezlie
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic