15920Re: [mythsoc] Defense of Narnia against Pullman

    Dec 2, 2005
      So ... when Jesus said, "Love your neighbor as yourself," Pullman thinks he means, "Practice eros with your neighbor"? Wouldn't that be a violation of a Commandment or two? What does Pullman think "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" means?

      This seems an insane interpretation of Pullman, and yet ... for any broader meaning of the word "love" it's equally insane to say that there's no trace of it in Narnia. To take it to absolute rock bottom, Edmund loves Turkish Delight, for ghu's sake.

      DB

      --alexeik@... wrote:

      >>"The highest virtue, we have on the authority of the New Testament
      >>itself," the avowedly atheistic Pullman said in a recent interview
      >>about the movie, "is love, and yet you find not a trace of that in
      >>the books.">>
      >
      >As you point out, Pullman makes no distinction between the different
      >ways love manifests itself (Lewis's "Four Loves"), and it seems to be
      >that he takes "love" to always mean "Eros", or to always potentially
      >mean that.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic