15913Re: [mythsoc] Re: can anyone recommend books/videos for a 10-yr-old girl?

  • Walter Padgett
    Dec 1, 2005
      On 12/1/05, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

      > I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
      > mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
      > Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
      > tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
      > adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
      > befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
      > pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
      > Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
      > three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
      > checking it out!
      >
      > Ellen Denham

      Yes. I loved =Spirited Away.= What was especially interesting was
      the old grandfather character, and the way he talked to the little
      girl. He scolded her mercilessly in private, but his actions showed
      her that he cared for her quite deeply. He was willing to give her
      the train tickets she needed, and he got her a job by bribing someone
      with a mysterious black noodle. That was funny. I think our daughter
      was probably 8 or 9 when we watched it together. She is 11 now, and
      we still refer to it, occasionally. It changed the way we saw things,
      a little. I think it is a great movie.

      Walter Padgett
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic